Tuesday 1 April 2014

Comedy; is it all just an act?

I love a bit of comedy, and I especially love the semi-improvised sitcom Outnumbered. I also started watching Mock the Week on line a while ago and it's brilliant. I love improvised comedy like that, just saying whatever comes into your head. Some people are great at that type of thing, and I really like Hugh Dennis. I just think his sense of humour is so clever and quick witted. But is that all just an on-screen persona?

I read this article a few days ago, and I must say I'm shocked. Are all comedians like this? Am I the only one who is really surprised by this? I mentioned this at lunch today, I mentioned the Hugh Dennis story. I said, "You know some comedians are actually really boring in real life?" and my friend said, "I reckon I could be the one to change that." It needs changing. Having comedians who are boring is like having authors who can't read, or sports commentators who don't understand sport. It's like when an actor on CSI has to talk the "technical" talk, the scientific jargon. They know how to say the words they're saying but they don't understand why they're saying them. You need to watch an episode of Mock the Week, just see how quick witted Hugh Dennis is. Then you read this article; "Hugh Dennis was so boring I divorced him"

No comments:

Post a Comment