Wednesday 11 June 2014

Talk words to me

I recently discovered that I have a love for the Australian accent. I don't know where this came from really. In the past it was an accent I wouldn't have thought twice about, it was just an accent that reminded me of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! But now? I don't know. It was at the Giro D'italia that I first noticed it. One of the guys helping out had come over to ask us to just keep back so we wouldn't get hit by the cyclists. He had an Australian accent, and I found myself gawking after him wanting to hear him speak again. It was weird. It just caught me unaware and it was stupid but I was thinking about it for days after. You know that nagging feeling you get when you sing a song but you can't remember what it's called or who sings it? Or you go around all day repeating a line from a film but you can't remember what film it's from, and you begin to doubt if it was even from a film because, you know,  you might have made it up? I got that feeling, for ages, and it just followed me around like a bad smell for days. I know it's weird, over an accent, right? Pfft, why should I have cared. But there was this feeling that there was something a lot bigger behind it. It hit me when I was watching Mock The Week one day.
I have a crush on an Australian comedian. I mean, a huge crush. It just crept up on me so slowly...
His name is Adam Hills, I don't know if you've seen any of his shows but I watched some of them online and I find him really funny.
This is him, in case you don't know him. I love his accent, I could just listen to him talking all day long.
I also really like Richard Roxburgh. He's an Australian actor. He's been in a Hound of the Baskervilles film, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and quite a lot more. I didn't realise he was Australian because I'd only ever seen him play British characters, but when I heard his natural accent somehow it made me love him even more... Strange.

2 comments:

  1. Us Aussie have a way of doing that to people. One minute you're simply aware of us abd the next, boom, we appear in full colour.

    Adam Hills rocks. He is one of my favorite comedians.

    I also like Richard Roxburgh. Guess we have a lot in common, what with this and Skulduggery Pleasant, Doctor Who, Sherlock and multiple other things.

    I'm glad I decided to look at your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) yes, we do appear to have a lot in common. This is the first comment on my blog, you have no idea how excited I am! :D

      Delete