Sunday 5 January 2014

New year... New me?

2013 is now 5 days gone, and everywhere you look all you see are videos and pictures and blog posts commemorating the year we've left behind. I don't know what I think of it to be honest. I usually have an immediate opinion on everything, but not this time. Photographs I don't particularly like; you spend the whole year cringing at the horrible ones your friends decided to put on Facebook only to be reminded of them when the new year comes. Hm. For me in particular this isn't good because being as self conscious as I am I hate every photo of myself. But there are always some great photos. Those photos where everyone looks like a moron or when your best friend's gangnam style makes them look like a chipmunk on caffeine. There's always one person who blinks and ends up looking drunk in every photo; that person would be me. But videos are the best aren't they? Photos blur easily and they only capture one moment in time, but videos are brilliant. There's always one video that everyone hates but you keep it hidden away in your computer because it always makes you laugh every time you watch it. Those videos where one of your friends is singing and dancing and they thought they were a superstar are always brilliant to keep. When they watch it it's hilarious to see how much they cringe. I keep all the videos I've taken over the years so that when the time comes to put together a brilliant 18th birthday gift I can proudly present my friends with DVDs showcasing their finest moments. Ah, yes, I am a truly thoughtful friend.
I have millions of photos and millions of vides to laugh at but I don't have a new year's blog post. I'm not gonna do one of those detailed reflections on 2013 and talk about how busy my year was; I've written about most of the stuff that happened to me in 2013 in past blog posts so instead I'm gonna write about the one thing that annoys me most about beginning a new year; new year, new me.

Oh how this gets on my nerves, it really does. Every year it's the same; everybody's saying "it's a new year, time for a new me." So just because you're signing a different number at the end of every date you write, you think this a good cause to try and make some changes? Balderdash I tell you! People try too hard to make changes just for the new year, making new year's resolutions that, let's face it, they might not keep. I haven't made any new year's resolutions and I don't intend to. I'm perfectly happy with the way I am right now. Ok, so it's a new year and that means another birthday and the beginning of another school year, but that's the same as every year right? I don't like the whole change thing. It's just so... Ugh! It's like picking through your life with a nit comb and saying "that's not good, change it. That's not good, change it. That's not good, change it." Not all people try too hard to make changes, why I don't even try at all. But it just gets a little annoying.
What is good about the new year though, I suppose, is the whole mindset people get about a fresh start. In a way I suppose New Year's Day is like hitting a refresh button, or wiping a slate clean and starting over. That's the bit I like, hitting refresh. I love the whole mindset at the beginning of a new year, knowing that you have 365 days ahead of you full of new oportunities. I think it's that sort of mindset that helps you to create new opportunities for yourself. If you have a strong belief that the next 365 days will be great, then they will be. You might say I watch too much Derren Brown but I say your life is in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment